A limited number of merit-based graduate assistantships are available each year to selected incoming graduate students. Graduate Assistants serve the department in several ways including the teaching of physical activity courses in the general service program, faculty aids for research, laboratory and service learning projects, and to maintain the Exercise Physiology and Exercise and Sport Science Fitness Laboratories. Graduate assistants typically work 20 hours per week. Because assistantships are competitive and limited, early application is recommended.
Teaching and playing experience in any of the following physical activity course areas will increase your chances of being selected as a graduate assistant: Pilates, tennis, badminton, golf, weight training, cardio & tone, jogging, ultimate frisbee, walking for weight loss, cardio & weights. Furthermore, graduate students in the Master of Physical Education degree program are given first priority for graduate assistantships.
The benefits for graduate assistants include a tuition remission of six semester hours of graduate credit plus a stipend of $11,200 for the academic year.
- You must have applied for and been clearly admitted to a graduate degree program at EKU.
- You must maintain at least a 3.0 (B) overall graduate grade point average. If it is your first semester as a Graduate student, you will not have a graduate GPA.
- You must maintain full-time graduate enrollment while on an assistantship (minimum of 9 semester hours of graduate credit in fall and spring, 6 semester hours of graduate credit in summer).
How to Apply for a Graduate Assistantship
- Apply to the Graduate School for admission. No graduate assistantships are awarded until the student has been admitted to the Graduate School.
- Send official transcripts of all academic work to the Graduate School.
- If the cumulative undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, take the Graduate Records Exam (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) as soon as possible.
- Submit your application for a graduate assistantship (cover letter and resume) through the EKU Human Resources Online Employment System page. (Note: A background check is required of all graduate assistants).
- Complete the application for a graduate assistantship (see link below) and forward to Dr. Heather Adams-Blair, Graduate Coordinator, Department of Exercise and Sport Science, EKU, Moberly 231, 521 Lancaster Avenue, Richmond, KY, 40475.
- Contact the Graduate Coordinator (859-622-1898) for more information and to inform her of your application for a graduate assistantship.
Miller's Analogies Test (MAT) Information (can take MAT at EKU): Miller Analogies Test
Graduate Record Exam Information: Graduate Record Exam
Sylvan Learning Center in Lexington or Sylvan Learning Center Richmond
|GA Application Form||26.78 KB|